Mercer County Horticultural Activities and Expectations
Click a month button above to view a list of possible problems you might find in your home, landscape or garden during that month and also see a list of suggested “To Do” items:
Things to Do All Year Long:
Note: dates may change slightly over the years, especially after mild winters.
- have soil tests run – separate tests for lawns, vegetable and flower gardens, shrub borders (soil mailing kits are available at Rutgers Cooperative Extension office)
- apply lime as needed (except when ground is frozen)
- add organics to the compost pile or bin
- prune dead wood on trees, shrubs and vines
- tend house plants
- read gardening books
- give books, tools, compost bins and other gardening materials as gifts for holidays, bridal showers, birthdays, etc.
- call Master Gardener Hotline for gardening information (609-989-6853)
Things to Watch Out for All Year Long:
- cockroach infestations
- food infesting insects, such as Indian meal moth, cigarette beetle, sawtoothed grain beetle
- carpet beetle and cloth moth infestations